Friday, July 18, 2008

GD WRX Lateral links and End links selection



"Note the enormous angles and try to now envision the opposite end of the bar with a mirrored extreme of this. Then add a 24mm swaybar and 1g of cornering load to this equation and you can start to see what happens when its driven hard. " -Jim of WhiteLine AU

I'll be changing endlinks soon on the Foz and want to make sure I select a good compromise between something I can drive on the street, but feel confident enough to push it on a closed course when the opportunity presents itself. I will eventually upgrade the OEM lateral links (control arms) since I can run more/less rear camber if desired, not to mention set the car up for better rear traction when lowered.

There seems to be a lot of people buying more of what they don't need for their street cars. I see this in many car circles, it's not just a Subaru thing. While I'm all for tricked out race parts, there needs to be a happy medium for a car that is still driven primarily on the street. Running full "heim joint" anything on a street car usually sounds like a bad idea to me. That's just asking for too much NVH (Noise, Vibration, Hardness) and great way to make a new car feel old very quickly. With all the great polyurethane bushings available now days, why go through the head ache?

A good read on lateral links and endlinks, particularly what Jim from WhiteLine has to say on the subject. Read his responses on page 2: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453813&pp=25&highlight=spherical&page=2

Here is a decent install page I came across:
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4567

I will be going with flexible bushings on both sides of the lateral arm since this is still a street car. I've seen a few control arms that have a flexible bushing at one end and a heim joint on the opposite end. That would still probably be acceptable, but still more than what I need.

-VL